The Glebe Community Association Heritage Committee recently presented its 2013 Glebe Heritage Restoration Award to Doug and Cheryl Casey for their outstanding heritage restoration of 20 Clemow Avenue. This home was designed by Werner E. Noffke in 1913 and was owned and lived in by him and his family from 1914 to 1923. Making the presentation in front of 20 Clemow next to the Casey’s own home at 18 Clemow was Johanna Persohn, Chairperson of the GCA Heritage Committee with several other members in attendance.
The exterior of the home has been fully restored to exacting heritage standards and included complex restoration of all masonry work, the disassembly and reconstruction of the roof utilizing its original red clay tiles supplemented as required by other identical salvaged tiles, exact recreation of non-repairable intricate copper eave troughs and the restoration of the original garage and small storage building. Although the interior of the house required substantial work to bring it to today’s standards of comfort and practicality, the restoration took every opportunity to retain/reuse original woodwork and special glazing and importantly features a salvageable example of the original, rich fabric wall covering that once graced most interior walls. This historic heritage home is now being enjoyed by its new owners.
The substantial care taken in the restoration of one of Ottawa’s most important heritage homes ensures that it will continue to make a major contribution to the heritage streetscapes of Clemow Estate East Heritage Conservation District, the Glebe and Ottawa for another 100 years.