image1

“The Glebe Community Association Heritage Committee presents its 2014 Glebe Heritage Restoration Award to Scott and Anne Marie Parsons for their sensitive restoration of key heritage elements of their home at 164 Clemow Avenue.  The home was designed by architect John Pritchard MacLaren and built in 1913 for Percy H. Shaver who had earlier been Secretary to the Honourable Clifford Sifton, Minister of the Interior under Sir Wilfred Laurier.

The home has been sensitively restored over time to retain  its heritage character while making changes to meet today’s standards of comfort and practicality.  Most recently, a complex exterior restoration project included the replacement of the roof but also the complex creation and installation of an exact replica of  the copper clad, bell-shaped roof  and supporting structure of the impressive three-storey round tower on the north-east corner of the home.  At the same time, a special craftsman was engaged to create replacement wood frames for the tower’s storm windows utilizing their original and rare curved glazing.  The substantial care taken and material investment in the restoration of one of Ottawa’s important heritage homes ensures that it will continue to make a major esthetic contribution to the heritage streetscapes of the Glebe and Ottawa for another 100 years.”