Since the first homestead was built in the Glebe in 1832, many events in Canadian history have played out here. The Ottawa Glebe grew out of a Clergy Reserve granted to St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in 1837. By the 1890s it was a streetcar suburb two miles south of Parliament Hill. Today, the Glebe has a unique village character in the heart of the Nation’s Capital. The history of Canada is the history of its communities.
This is the history of the Glebe.
The Glebe Historical Timeline
Welcome to the online timelines section of the Glebe Historical Society. This section documents significant events which occurred through the decades in the Glebe, or nearby. Pick any decade, or begin your journey through time right from the start! We have done our best to ascertain the accuracy of this data. Still, we would welcome corrections or additional information.
Early human contact with the Glebe area
For hundreds of years, many tribes of Algonquin Indians used the Ottawa and Rideau Rivers for travel and trade. Other Indian tribes used the rivers as trade routes, usually paying a toll to the Algonquins, who controlled the river way from their “island fortress” on Morrison Island in Allumette Lake (really part of the Ottawa River). Early French cartographers called the Ottawa River La Grande Riviere des Algoumequins. The Glebe is Algonquin Territory. Because the Glebe area was bounded by swampy land on the west and east, and it is not immediate to either the Ottawa or the Rideau river, there likely was no native settlement here, although the Glebe may well have been used as hunting grounds by nomadic Indians.
Note: When the British took over the rule of British North America, they often refer to the same geographic areas by a variety of terms, depending on the purpose fof the designation. For example, There were Military Commands (sometimes called Military Districts) designating areas controlled by an officer; Judicial Districts for the administration of justice under an appointed judge; and Political Divisions for the election of representatives.
Sometimes these three had coterminus boundaries, often they did not. This leads to some confusion in the description of the same geographical area by a variety of designations.
- 1613 June 5, coming up the Ottawa River from Montreal, Champlain reaches the Chaudiere Falls, and names them. The Glebe is in Algonquin Territory.
- 1642 The Mohawks, an Iroquois tribe, attack and destroy the Algonquin fortress on Morrison Island, and Algonquin domination of the Ottawa River trade ends. The Glebe is in Iroquois Territory.
- 1680 The French drive the Iroquois off the Ottawa and reopen the trade route to the west. The Glebe is in the Territory of New France.
- 1759 September 17, the French garrison at Quebec capitulates, after Wolfe defeated Montcalm on the Plains of Abraham on September 13. The North American Colony of New France passes de facto to British control. The actual boundaries of New France were somewhat vague, but certainly would have included the Glebe.
- 1763 February 10, By the Treaty of Paris, New France passed formally to Britain. The Glebe becomes British Territory.
- 1763 October 7, the Province of Quebec first appears as a legal governmental and geographical entity.
- 1774 The Quebec Act set up the province of Quebec which included most of the area now in the United States west of the Allegheny Mountains as far as the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. The land west of the Ottawa River and north of the St. Lawrence was named the judicial district of Lancaster. The Glebe becomes Lancaster District Territory.
- 1783 The Treaty of Paris ends the American Revolutionary war, and persecuted British United Empire Loyalists (UELs) seek settlement in British territory.
- 1783 There are fewer than 2,000 Europeans living in present day Ontario. The territory was an uninhabited hunting ground of nomadic Indian tribes, principally Algonquins and Mississaugas.
- 1783 October 9, acting under the instructions of Governor Haldimand, the Indian Department headed by Sir John Johnson, a UEL displaced from upper New York State, negotiated what was called ‘the Crawford Purchase’. Captain W.R. Crawford, UEL, negotiated with a Council of Mississauga Indians for the ‘purchase’ of most of eastern Ontario from the Trent River north east to approximately Britannia Point on the Ottawa River, and all land north of the St. Lawrence and South of the Ottawa save for the triangle at their confluence that is part of Quebec, having already been settled as seigniories. The purchase price was powder and shot, red cloth for clothing, and an unspecified amount of rum. The Glebe is part of the Crawford Purchase.
Note: There is some question as to whether the Ottawa River Valley lands were really the property of the Mississaugas to sell. To this day, the Algonquin Indians continue to claim the Ottawa drainage basin as their territory in an as yet unresolved land claim.
- 1788 July 24, Governor Sir Guy Carleton has the Lancaster District divided into four sections. Most of eastern Ontario, as far west as the Gananoque River was in the Lunenburg District. The Glebe is part of Lunenburg Military District.
- 1791 The Constitution Act divides Quebec into the two provinces of Upper and Lower Canada, and allocates every 7th lot as a ‘Clergy Reserve’ to support a protestant clergy. The Glebe becomes part of Upper Canada.
- 1792 July 16, the Proclamation of Lt. Governor Simcoe divided Upper Canada into 19 political divisions called counties. The Glebe was in Dundas County at this time. The Glebe becomes part of Dundas County.
- 1792 October 6, the Township of Nepean (then known simply as township D), about 60,000 acres, was granted to George Hamilton, who applied to settle the area on behalf of 143 prospective settlers. The Glebe becomes part of Township D.
- 1793* John Stegmann (Deputy surveyor of Upper Canada) completes the rough or outline survey of four townships of approximately 65,000 acres each, at the confluence of the Rideau and Ottawa Rivers. (*historical references give varying dates from 1791 to 1794 for this survey activity.) These are eventually named: Nepean and North Gore, north and west of the Rideau, and Gloucester and Osgoode south and east of the Rideau. Early surveyors used river banks as starting points for surveys, and ‘Rideau Front’ lots fronted on the Rideau River, while ‘Ottawa Front’ lots were surveyed in concessions back to a ‘base line’, the current Baseline Road. East of Bronson Avenue, as well as south of Baseline Road, the rest of Nepean Township was surveyed in from the Rideau River, and these lots are referred to in deeds, as Rideau Front lots and concessions. The Glebe was surveyed from the Rideau Front. The survey divides Nepean township (then still known only as township D) into 200 acre rural lots of 1 1/4 by 1/4 miles, includes lots G,H,I and K of Concession C, Rideau Front, along with lot I of Concession B (the Dow’s Lake area) that make up the current Glebe. Lot H was the actual Clergy Reserve or ‘glebe’ (church lands) which was to eventually give the area its name.
- 1793* Surveyor John Steggman drowns in Dow’s Great Swamp. (*some historical sources dispute this fate)
- 1794 Township D is named for Sir Evan Nepean, Under-Secretary in the Home Office, responsible for Canadian affairs from 1782 to 1794. The Glebe becomes part of Nepean Township.
- 1797 Land grant of Nepean Township to Joseph Hamilton revoked for lack of settlement (there is no record of any settlement at all)
- 1797-1812 Over 200 land grants, encompassing half the land in Nepean township, were given to children of UEL’s as they came of age. These grants had been promised to UEL’s when their parents settled in BNA in the late 1780’s). Few take up their grants, and many are bartered or sold off, sight unseen. Note: There is a significant difference between a land grant (the right to settle on land) and a title or deed to a piece of land. In order to actually get a deed of ownership, settlers had to clear part of the land for crops, build a house, and live there for a set number of years (usually 2 to 4).
- 1798 County of Carleton created, including the township of Nepean. The Glebe becomes part of Carleton County.
- 1798 Nepean township name recorded for the first time by statue in the second Parliament of Upper Canada.
Events occurring between 1800 and 1849
- 1809 Ira Honeywell builds the first house in Nepean (north of Woodroffe and Carling Avenues along the Ottawa River).
- 1811 John Honeywell, son of Ira, is the first white child born in Nepean.
- 1812 By this time Lot G (from Glebe Avenue to Chamberlain, east of Bronson to Main Street) was owned by William Fraser, and lot I (from Fifth Avenue south to Broadway, from Bronson east to Main Street) was owned by Richard Duncan Fraser (sons of Loyalist Thomas Fraser). The Clergy Reserve (Lot K) was still unassigned.
- 1814 Abraham Dow purchases Lot H of Concession B (Dow’s Lake area west of Bronson), most of which is swamp.
- 1815 The first road (little better than a trail) through the Glebe (and only the second in Nepean Township) is built from the Chaudiere south and just east of Dow’s Swamp. (roughly on the height of land along Bronson to Holmwood, then east to the White House property, then south to Billings Bridge.) This was abandoned in 1830 when the Rideau Canal was cut through ‘the notch’, severing the road north of the knoll where the White House once stood.
- 1816 The Military District of Johnstown is set up, centred on Perth. It includes Carleton County. The Glebe becomes part of the Military District of Johnstown.
- 1819 May 31, second Treaty with the chiefs of the Mississauga is signed at Kingston for 2,748,000 acres of additional Indian lands north and west of the Rideau River. John Ferguson represented the British government.
- 1822 Census of Nepean township registers 191 residents in 37 families.
- 1823 District of Bathhurst created from part of the former District of Johnstown, centred on the military settlement at Perth, the largest village in the region. The Glebe becomes part of the Military District of Bathhurst.
- 1824 First settlers in Nepean receive titles* to their lands (and voter eligibility). *Another source of confusion in records is that the person granted land, did not always fulfill the conditions (usually settling, building and clearing) to get title to the land. As well, many squatted, built, and farmed land for which they had no title.
- 1826 February, Colonel By confirmed as superintending engineer of the proposed Rideau Canal between Kingston and the Ottawa River.
- 1826 September 21, Colonel By arrives in Wrightville (later Hull) to begin exploring possible routes for the Rideau Canal.
- 1826 George Patterson, Chief of Commissariat for Colonel By granted land in lot G, Concession C (for whom Patterson’s Creek was named). and builds the first house in the Glebe just north of Patterson’s Creek along the canal. (actual date house was built is unconfirmed).
- 1827 There are 580 residents in 76 families in Nepean. Of these, 73 are males 19-39, who were eligible for the militia.
- 1827 autumn, the banks of the proposed Rideau Canal from the Ottawa River to Hog’s Back are cleared. The wood is “logged, piled and burned”.
- 1827 Earth dam at south end of Dow’s Great Swamp started.
- 1828 Canal workers swell the population to 2,758 residents in Nepean, 757 males aged 19-39.
- 1828 May 4, tender to excavate five miles from first eight locks at Entrance Bay on the Ottawa River to Dow’s Great Swamp let to an American excavator, Walter Fenlon. It is a two year contract @ 20 cents per cubic foot.
- 1830 Antony Swalwell re-surveys parts of Rideau lots for Colonel By to correct inaccuracies of earlier surveys.
- 1832 St. Louis Dam built at northwest end of Dow’s Great Swamp, flooding it to become Dow’s Lake.
- 1832 Long Island Road extended from Manotick north over the St. Louis Dam to Bytown.
- 1832, May, the Rideau Canal opens to traffic from Kingston to Bytown.
- 1832, October, Colonel By returns to England to answer questions concerning the expense overrun in building the Rideau Canal.
- 1833 William Stewart purchases land south of the Bytown city limits between Gladstone and Chamberlain, east of Bronson, which would eventually form the north boundary of the Glebe.
- 1837 April 3, Lot H granted as a glebe to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.
- 1839 The Mutchmor’s go west.
- 1839 autumn, Senior Royal Engineer ordered an inspection of ordinance lands the full length of the canal, hoping to gain rents from squatters – the holdings of unauthorized residents were identified.
- 1841 Upper and Lower Canada are united into the new Province of Canada. The Glebe becomes part of the Province of Canada.
- 1843 Total annual revenue from renting the glebe lands to St. Andrew’s Church was 19 pounds.
Events occurring between 1850 and 1859
- 1850 In March, Bytown is linked to Montreal by telegraph.
- 1853 American vessels allowed to use the Rideau Canal, boosting trade in Bytown, especially lumber exports.
- 1854 On Christmas Day, the first train of the Bytown & Prescott Railway arrives in New Edinburgh.
- 1855 On New Year’s Day, the town of Bytown was incorporated as the City of Ottawa with a population of nearly 10,000.
- 1856 June 19, Rideau Canal lands transferred to government of Upper Canada.
- 1858 January 17th, Ottawa announced as the new capital of the Province of Canada.
- 1859 Update by perambulation of squatters on former ordinance lands.
- 1859 December 10, motion to make Ottawa Capital of the Province of Canada passes in the legislature, sitting in Quebec by a vote of 64-59.
Events occurring between 1860 and 1869
- 1860 September 1, the Prince of Wales lays the cornerstone for the Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings.
- 1861 The Mutchmors return to the Glebe.
- 1862 Plan of subdivision prepared for land east of Dow’s Lake.
- 1863 Mrs. Fraser, widow of Richard Duncan Fraser, gains control of lot I east of Dow’s Lake (had been appropriated without compensation by Colonel By), had the land laid out as suburb of Fraserfield.
- 1863 John Hickey dies – sons divide farm and operate as (market) gardeners and nurserymen east of Concession (later BronsonAve.) , north of what will later become Powell Avenue.
- 1865 First lots in Fraserfield sold, French-Canadians removed, suburb remains largely undeveloped, and is sold in 18?? to J. R. Booth as a lumber yard.
- 1865 By autumn arriving civil servants for the new capital of the Province of Canada drive up rents to double, beginning land boom.
- 1865 September Bank St extended south of city limits at Gladstone (then called Ann), southern boundary of By Estate) by The Ottawa and Gloucester Macadamized Road Company, with Toll Gate at McLeod Street.
- 1865 December – bridge over Patterson Creek completed.
- 1865 December – first two miles of Bank Street macadamized.
- 1866 May – July Bank Street swing Bridge over the canal built.
- 1866 June 8, the first meeting of the Houses of Parliament held in the new Parliament Buildings, Ottawa.
- 1867 August, Bank Street Road completed to Billings Bridge.
- 1867 Alexander Mutchmor builds Abbotsford House, 954 Bank Street, the longest standing building in the Glebe. *Some sources date this building as 1872.
- 1867-9? A few brick houses built on lots sold by Mutchmors.
- 1867 July 1, the British North America Act comes into effect, and the Dominion of Canada, composed of the provinces of Canada (Ontario, Quebec), New Brunswick and Nova Scotia comes into being.
- 1867 Canal lands transferred to new Dominion government, Secretary of State.
- 1867 June, Abbotsford, the Alexander Mutchmor home on Bank Street completed.
- 1868 City of Ottawa Agricultural Society acquires 19 acres (Lansdowne Park).
- 1868 St. Andrew’s Church divides Glebe Lands into fifteen 10 acre (approx.) garden plots & rents them to tenants.
- 1869 James Meakin builds the Gate hotel on Bank Street north of Patterson’s Creek west of Bank to accommodate farmers coming to market.
Events occurring between 1870 and 1879
- 1870 Autumn, St. Louis Dam cut to flood north to Preston Street and save Ottawa from devastating forest fire coming from the west.
- 1870-71? Ralph Mutchmor and EC Barber rent 48 acres of the Glebe for a trotting course called Mutchmor Park (circular track and hunters course), also build Turf Hotel on west side of Bank north of Fifth.
- 1871 James Galleta Whyte builds his home on the highest point along the Driveway, the landmark ‘Whyte House’ (which burns down in the 1980’s).
- 1872 Thirteenth running of the Queen’s Plate in Mutchmor Park, raced 1.5 miles. Horse barns and a grandstand are built along the north side of Mutchmor (later Fifth Avenue).
- 1872 Alexander Mutchmor opened a subdivision of 34 lots west of Bank Street, on streets named Percy and Ella after his children. 28 lots were auctioned in the spring, purchased mostly by labourers.
- 1872 Alexander Mutchmor’s dry goods firm of Garland, Mutchmor & Company purchased 54 acres of the Lewis Williams farm on the south bank of the Rideau Canal between Bank and Bronson, north of Sunnyside for $10,300, and subdivides 127 building lots as the village of Rideauville.
- 1873 Wm. F. Powell builds the Grove Hotel south of Patterson’s Creek, just east of Bank.
- 1873 Development of Colonel By’s estate land begins between Laurier Avenue and Gladstone Avenue, pushing urban growth south.
- 1873 Land boom collapses due to economic depression in USA, and slowing of demand for milled lumber. The depression last until the 1880’s.
- 1873 Canal ordinance lands turned over to the Department of the Interior. The canal reserve was reduced to 200 feet on either side of the waterway. The remainder was serveyed into lots and sold at auction May 13. Many squatters were evicted.
- 1874 May 15, Ottawa Citizen lists house for sale in ‘The Glebe’. First recorded use of this expression applied to the area.
- 1874 Trustees of St. Andrew’s Church gain permission to sell or mortgage Glebe lands, rented at the time to gardeners for $600 annually.
- 1875 William Hickey laid out the subdivision of Bloomingvale between Bank and Metcalfe Streets, south of Isabella, but sells only two lots fronting on Bank Street.
- 1875 The Ottawa and Gloucester Macadamized Road Company erects new toll house on Bank Street opposite Abottsford House.
- 1875 The Provincial Exhibition is held on the grounds of the Ottawa Agricultural Society (later Lansdowne Park).
- 1876 Elgin Street extended through Stewarton over Patterson Creek to Ottawa Agricultural Society grounds.
- 1876-9 Population of Ottawa drops 1700 to 23,789, although population of Nepean increases by 531 as people move out of town to lower taxation.
- 1877 The Inkerman Street block of 34 lots is laid out on the east end of the Patterson property by Joseph Hinton, but no lots are sold.
- 1879 There are 23 houses scattered through the Mutchmor Estate.
- 1879 January, Garland, Mutchmor & Company, goes bankrupt, and all assets were sold at auction in March for 59 cents on the dollar.
- 1879 Alexander Mutchmor sold Abbotsford to Ottawa mayor C.H. Mackintosh, and left for Kansas City.
Events occurring between 1880 and 1889
- 1880 Twenty-first running of the Queen’s Plate in Mutchmor Park.
- 1884 Duncan Smith leases 8 acres of Glebe lands east of Bank Street from St. Andrew’s for market gardening.
- 1887 Provincial Exhibition held at Lansdowne Park for third time. Over 15,000 attend.
- 1888 A petition of 48 residents south of Stewarton (Glebe area) protest against annexation by Ottawa. There are only 43 dwellings, and a total population of 209 on about 600 acres.
- 1888 Central Canada Exhibition Association established, Lansdowne Park improved, and the first annual exhibition opened September 24 (20,000 attended).
- 1889 January 1st, land south of Gladstone to the canal and west to Dow’s Lake annexed into the City of Ottawa.
- 1889 August 23 The Ottawa Journal says Abottsford will accommodate 75 inmates as it becomes The Protestant Home for the Aged.
Events occurring between 1890 and 1899
- 1890 St. Andrew’s subdivides the Glebe east of Bank Street.
- 1890 Duncan Smith takes a lease west of the old race course? (on Glebe lands?).
- 1891 June, Ottawa Electric Railway Company opens Bank Street Line from Wellington Street to Lansdowne Park. This opens the Glebe to suburban living as people commute to work downtown.
- 1892 Church built at 91 Fourth.
- 1893 Buffalo Bill Cody holds his ‘Wild West Show’ on the Metropolitan Grounds east of Bank, south of Pretoria.
- 1894 First Presbyterian mission in the Glebe built at 53-55 Third Avenue.
- 1895 Berwick Cottage built at 20 Ralph
- 1896 Mutchmor School designed by E.L. Horwood, built for $10,470, opens as a four room school.
- 1898 September 19, the Aberdeen Pavilion (built by Shawville architect Moses C. Edey) is opened at Lansdowne Park by the Governor-General.
- 1898 Summer, wooden church of St. Mathews built facing First near Bank.
- 1898 Two lots purchased for $2,200 at Bank and Fourth for Fourth Avenue Baptist Church, wooden church built.
- 1898 First Avenue Public School opens as an 8 room school (no bridge yet over Patterson Creek at O’Connor) designed by J. Albert Ewart, built for $20,484.
- 1899 Lord Strathcona’s Horse Regiment camps in Aberdeen Pavilion for two weeks before shipping out to the Boer War.
- 1899 The federal government establishes the Ottawa Improvement Commission (OIC) which is the forerunner of the National Capital Commission. Planner Frederick Todd saves Patterson Creek area for park land.
Events occurring between 1900 and 1909
- 1900 Buffalo Bill Wild West Show returns to the Glebe.
- 1900 April 26, The Great Fire of Ottawa destroyed Lebreton Flats, Lansdowne Park used to house those made homeless by the fire.
- 1902 Lansdowne Park extended north to Holmwood.
- 1902 Narrow gage railway moves sandy soil (from current site of Glebe Collegiate) to fill low land between Second and Third Avenues to allow for home building.
- 1902 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to the south side of Patterson between Metcalfe and the Driveway.
- 1903 Ottawa Silver Seven wins Stanley Cup in Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne.
- 1904 Brick Fourth Avenue Baptist Church built at the corner of Bank and Fourth to replace wooden structure.
- 1904 The Driveway completed to the Experimental Farm from Cartier Square.
- 1906 Secretary to governor general builds home at 126-128 Fourth.
- 1906 May, Glebe Presbyterian Church opens at First and Lyon, built by J.W.H.Watts.
- 1906 304-312 The Driveway built in Victorian style.
- 1907 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to west side of Lyon between Third and Fourth Avenues.
- 1909 (? Or 1912) Mutchmor renamed Fifth Avenue.
Events occurring between 1910 and 1919
- 1910 Wooden church at 91 Fourth is clad in brick and becomes Zion Congregational Church.
- 1911 Mutchmor expands north towards Fourth Avenue and becomes a 12 room school.
- 1912 Permanent Bank Street Bridge built over the canal by Newton J. Ker.
- 1912 W.E. Noffke builds his first Glebe design at 86 Ralph – the Baker House.
- 1913 Recession.
- 1913 Bell Telephone builds exchange at 200 First Avenue west of Bank (now the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago).
- 1913 W.E. Noffke bulds 12 Allan Place for Ernest C. Powell, brother of W.E. Powell, the developer of Patterson Creek.
- 1913 Noffke builds 20 Clemow for himself.
- 1913 Noffke builds 85 Glebe Avenue for W.F. Powell.
- 1913 Noffke builds 515 O’Connor, corner Monkland, for Austin E. Blount, Sir Robert Borden’s private secretary.
- 1913 Noffke builds 517 O’Connor, corner Linden Terrace, for G. Frederick Hodgins.
- 1914 Presbyterian (later Ottawa) Ladies College built at Lyon and First.
- 1914 Horticultural Building built at Lansdowne Park by Francis C. Sullivan after the Prairie School style.
- 1914-18 Lansdowne Park used by army as training and marshalling area for soldiers bound overseas during World War I.
- 1915 Noffke builds 11 Clemow for Benson C. Beach, president of the Beach Foundry.
- 1915 Prince Rupert Apartments, 585 O’Connor built.
- 1915 Noffke builds 1 Clemow for Francis X. Plaunt, a railway tie contractor.
- 1919 (fall) site of Glebe Collegiate Purchased for $37,500 plus tax and interest.
Events occurring between 1920 and 1929
- 1920 Mutchmor expands to a 20 room school with 900 students.
- 1921 July 2, Block 422 purchased for Glebe Collegiate playing field for $34,500.
- 1922 September, Glebe Collegiate opens on Percy Street.
- 1922 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to Ottawa South, sells land to the Ottawa Roman Catholic Separate School Board.
- 1923 Noffke builds 18 Clemow for Ethel Chamberlain.
- 1924 St Paul’s Methodist Church finished at Lyon and Second.
- 1925 St. Paul’s Methodist becomes St. James United on entering church union.
- 1926 Noffke builds 26 Clemow for Levi W. Crannell.
- 1926 Corpus Christi Separate School built on Lyon at Fourth.
- 1927 Capital Ward became identical with district defined as the Glebe.
- 1928 Ambassador Court at 672 Bank, north of Central Park, built by W.e. Noffke for developer David Epstein.
- 1928 Avalon Theatre built at north west corner of Bank and Second, first theatre in Ottawa to show sound films.
- 1929 May, St. Giles Presbyterian Church opens at north east corner of Bank and First.
- 1929 High School of Commerce opens at west end of Glebe Collegiate.
Events occurring between 1930 and 1939
- 1930’s Booth subdivides Fraserfield lumber yard, names streets after family and his timber limits.
- 1931 Only 298 vacant lots in the Glebe.
Events occurring between 1940 and 1949
- 1941 Only 152 vacant lots in the Glebe.
- 1942 Ottawa Ladies College expropriated for war effort, serves as the Glebe Barracks for the Canadian Woman’s Army Corps.
- 1942 Carleton College begins as evening classes at the old High School of Commerce (west part of Glebe Collegiate).
- 1945 Population of the Glebe 15,507.
- 1947 September, Carleton College opens in old site of Ottawa Ladies College on First at Lyon.
Events occurring between 1950 and 1959
- 1951 Glebe population is 13,175, as Capital Ward re-expands into Ottawa South.
- 1956 Avalon Theatre, remodeled and named The Glebe Theatre, closes.
- 1957 Church hall built at St. Giles Presbyterian on First.
- 1958 Southern addition built to Corpus Christi on Lyon.
- 1959 Carleton becomes a University (Act of 1957)and moves to Rideau Campus.
- 1959 Church hall built at Glebe United Church on Lyon.
Events occurring between 1960 and 1969
- 1965 The Queensway opens on the old CNR right-of-way, setting the north boundary of The Glebe.
- 1966 Final addition to Corpus Christie school built.
- 1966 Final addition to Corpus Christie school built.
- 1967 Civic Centre is built and north stands at Lansdowne extended.
- 1969 The Society of Friends takes over Church of the Nazarene at 91 Fourth east of Bank, Formerly Zion Congregational.
Events occurring between 1970 and 1979
- 1971 Glebe United and St. James United merge to become Glebe-St. James United.
- 1974 The 12 story extension of Abottsford House is built on Holmwood at Bank.
- 1974 William Teron builds 300 The Driveway, at Patterson Creek.
- 1974 August, Ontario Municipal Board approved a down-zoning of several blocks between Patterson Creek and Fifth Avenue to prevent further high rise construction.
- 1975 Population of Glebe falls to 12,146.
Events occurring between 1980 and 1989
- 1986 97% of Glebe residents of British origin.
- 1988 Population of the Glebe falls to 10,628 as boarding houses and triplexes are converted back into single family homes.